Sunday, November 8, 2009

Birthday

Hi! We went to a brunch for my Birthday at a place called the Oak Table. I decided to get an apple pancake. This is no ordinary pancake! I guess it's more like what my mom described it as a souffle. It's about 4 inches tall, has apples baked into it, very eggy, lots of different spices in an apple syrup drizzled over it and cooked into it, and I think brown sugar bits all over it. It's really good! I couldn't even eat half of it. Everytime someone orders this, they ring a bell. Of course, when I couldn't eat anymore, they came out with another thing they give to people who are celebrating their Birthdays. This was an icecream stuffed crepe with chocolate drizzled over it and whipped cream on the sides. I could only stomach a bite of it. So, we had a lot of food to take home. :D Just means I can have a couple of delicious lunches this week. ^_^

I also got a makeup kit. It has 9 good eyeshadow colors, 6 lip glosses, and 3 lipstick colors. Awesome, since I didn't have much variety in colors for eyeshadow, lipgloss, and lipstick. Another thing I got was a book called A Jewish Woman's Prayer Book. I forgot I wanted this a while ago. So, that was really nice.

Last night, we also watched a very good movie called Defiance. It's about these group of Jews that hide in the forests of Lithuania during the Holocaust. They also fight against any Germans that walk into the forest. I like that they fight back against them, since there aren't too many stories being told about them. They always paint the Jews as a bit weak and not wanting to fight for their rights. Kind of an uplifting story to me.

Today, I slept in a bit, because I was still extremely full. I also had a hard time falling asleep, but once I did I was out like a light. I mostly watched TV Japan.



The first thing I watched was the tail end of J- League Soccer. It was Kawasaki vs. Chiba. Kawasaki won, but it seemed like a really close game. Both sides were very good.
Then, I watched Children Around the World. They followed a Malaysian girl's day. She's Muslim, so she has to put on a burka. (I think, but it doesn't cover the mouth.) She wants to become an English teacher. Her family's all for it, as long as she's successful. The morning announcements for the school was interesting, they always end it with a prayer. A lot of the time the girls take their burkas off, and are told by the teachers constantly to put them back on. :P Once she's home, she doesn't have to wear it though, which is nice. Was a very interesting show. ^_^

Next, I watched some of NHK News: Good Morning Japan. Similar to Good Morning America. (Really interesting how many similarities there are.) They had the weather, a thing on a scam that targetted seniors, in Hokkaido there are people still missing after an avalanche, and other topics. Very interesting to see what's going on over there. :D

Next was a program on hot springs (or onsen). It was about the owner of one. She took over after her mother died. It looked so relaxing to see when people were using them. The people who work there went through a ceremony where a Shinto priest blessed them and I think the spring, too. They also showed that they grow their own vegetables there, and showed some of the food they serve. It looked so good! XD


Then, there was a show called Nature Wonderland. The animal they showed this time was an Osprey. They showed them hunting for fish, where they nest, taking care of their young, where they are found, etc. It was cool to watch when they used slo- mo to show how the bird attacks a fish. Kind of scary for the poor fish, but still looked cool! Their talons are huge too! They also go by the name 'Sea Eagle'.

Lastly, I watched Pets Pochi and Tama. It's a show where they talk about people's pets. The longest story was about a little kitten. The kitten along with its siblings were abandoned. A person found them and took care of them. After a while they decided to sell them. The kitten (I think his name is Pachi?) found a nice family in the end. Showed them playing with him, holding him, taking pictures, and just spending time with him. It was a nice story. :D So, it was all incredibly interesting today. ^_^ Tonight, I think I'm going to watch a thing called Cool Japan. I've heard it's one of the best shows on this channel, so we'll see how good it is. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment