Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rosh Hashanah!

Mood::iconsleepygreeceplz:


It's the first day of Rosh Hashanah.:dummy:Which ends tomorrow. So, according to the Jewish calendar it's the year 5771.:iconchibicanadaplz:Hope it's a great year! I wasn't able to blog yesterday, because things went a little crazy.:icontinoplz:


I did manage to make the teiglach Tuesday night. It took much longer than I thought it would.:icongermanyplz:Started right after dinner, and finished cooking at about 10:30.:iconwtfukplz:That's a long time to me. At first, I misread how much flour to add, so it wasn't really sticking to itself. I eventually got it and added the right amount. I thought it would be like a half cup, it was 2 cups.:iconchibirussiaplz:Then, I wasn't putting enough force into kneading it right away. So, it took longer. Then, I had problems at first making the 'ropes' thin enough.:iconrussiarapefacepls:I got the hang of it after a while. All my little nuggets looked like pillows. It was a sea of them.:iconfrancisplz:I still find it weird that you can boil honey and cook things in it. I don't know why. After the honey was boiling, I added some of the ginger and orange zest. Then, it was the 'nuggets'. When they were cooked through, Mom lined a bowl with oil and a layer of walnuts. Then I poured some of the mixture on top of that, and she added another layer of walnuts. Did that until there wasn't anything left in the pot. We let it sit over night. The next day, I was able to try it, and it was awesome!:iconhungaryplz:I'm happy I didn't totally screw it up. Mom's cake was great too!:iconchibisitalyplz:




Yesterday, I got up late. Which wasn't what I had planned, considering that night we had Rosh Hashanah services.:iconwtfromanoplz:I had some time to check my email, change my wallpaper, and then try to apply some nail polish. My new wallpaper is above. It's got chibi Hong Kong and Greece. Cute, with the cats. Still don't know if I'll keep it for this month. The nail polish was really slow drying. (It's still a bit like latex.:iconromanoplz:) So, after 2 hours of waiting for it to dry, I had to quickly get dressed.:iconseychelles-plz:I messed them up a bit, but no one commented, so I guess it was ok. I wore my purple dress, purple nail polish, purple eyeshadow, etc. Had some gold mixed in, but I was basically just purple. People liked it though.:iconchibihungaryplz:


At services, the Rabbi who leads it always comes by once a year to do Rosh Hashanah services. He's very nice, and somehow remembers what we told him last year.:iconeestiplz:He asked again if we had a good year. Hopefully, next year we'll have a better answer.:iconkikuplz:We had a guest pianist/singer accompany our cantor. They both sounded so beautiful!:iconchibispainplz:There's a different tone to High Holy Day services, and they can be a bit more challenging musically. So, kudos to them! This Rabbi's sermon makes me tear up a little everytime. I have no idea why.:iconchibijapanplz:He talked about what makes people heroes. Also, about making time in our busy lives for prayer. He always has us introduce ourselves to someone we don't know and discuss the question he asks us. I met a very nice lady behind me and it was hard to stop talking to her.:iconchibipolandplz:There was a really good turn out. I think we might have ran out of chairs for people. The place was packed.:iconthailandplz:


After that, it was the dessert potluck. Mom had brought some of her honey cake. I left the teiglach at home, because I really wasn't sure about bringing it.:iconchibilithuaniaplz:There was cookies, brownies, pies, grapes, lots of different cakes, cobblers, and other stuff. Mom told me someone brought salmon, which I find odd for a 'dessert' potluck.:iconusaplz:I only grabbed what would fit on those small plates. I liked most of it though. I think one of the brownies weren't too great. 


Later, people started popping up around me and having real in-depth conversations. I'm not used to that.:iconspainplz:During the regular services people either leave early or they talk to the same person every week. The president of our Hadassah group, wanted to talk. I'm a little nervous around her, because she's been so weird. Mom and I are noticing that she is having hearing problems and her memory isn't great either. So, a lot of her weirdness lately is not intentional. It's good to know.:iconchibiaustriaplz:


Then, a guy I've known for years, but barely comes to things wanted to talk too. I finally started telling him and others what I'm really doing. He was amazed by the Japanese, novel, cooking and other stuff. He said it was very admirable. I don't know about that.:iconswissplz:I'm just trying to get myself out there. 


Next, was a couple, that I'm a little weary of the girlfriend. (I don't know if their married. If they are then, wife.) She always seems so tense and very in your face, the guy is much easier to talk to, since he's a bit more relaxed. (Don't get me wrong, I like both of them.) We talked for a while, and then somehow they brought up anime.:iconheroamericaplz:The guy has been an addict for a while. Like, since the 80s. He also studied Japanese in college. So, we talked up a storm after that.:iconhappychinaplz:When I told him I haven't seen Robotech, he was surprised, and said you have to come to the next marathon we have. I don't think it's my type, but I'd give it a try.:iconchibiswedenplz:I've heard that it's a classic. Most of the ones I'm really familiar with are from just a few years ago, on. But, I'm willing to try a new show. It was weird, because I thought they would think I was crazy or weird or something. So, wahoo! I made another connection.:icondancingrussiaplz:


For this morning, we had services from 9:30 and didn't get home until about 2:30.:iconitalyishorrifiedplz:It was a nice service like last night. The only problem is we were standing for so long. Even I had problems with it.:iconhongkongplz:The person blowing the shofar was awesome! (The shofar's a ram's horn.) Did a very long and nice tekiah gedolah or basically a long note. You're supposed to do it for as long as you can. It's really something.:iconadmireplz:Then, we went to the pier for Tashlich. It was freezing. There were no birds, and maybe only 2 starfish.:iconlietplz:Kind of disappointing that way. We tossed the crumbs, and then left. I could have sworn we used to sing songs afterwards. I didn't have much of a breakfast, basically just a roll. So, went from 9:30 to 2:30 just on that little roll.:iconromanolikesbuttplz:I was so hungry. I feel a lot better now. I was starting to see double. Tomorrow, we have more morning services, but at a different congregation. Every once in a while, we trade off and go there. I haven't been there in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment