Thursday, May 17, 2018

International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia

Today's International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia or IDAHOT. It's also against other 'phobias' in the community. The organization that started it said they didn't want the name to be too long, and wanted an acronym people could remember easily. It's also against acephobes and arophobes. I'm aro ace. I don't particularly like when others lump them together and call it aphobia. That's literally 'fear of a'. Doesn't make as much sense. Plus, asexual and aromantic are 2 different things (it's somewhat rare to be both), and they get lumped together too often. Often, there is arophobia within the ace community. Some by ace activists themselves, which hurts a little more. I haven't come across acephobia in specific aro spaces online, but they seem to have a quieter presence. Also, it's against enbyphobia, which is also referred to as exorsexism. I'm enby, and while we are under the trans umbrella (and also experience transphobia), there's an added layer of hate against people who aren't apart of the binary. Hopefully, someday, there will be no more haters. I changed my fb profile frame to an IDAHOT theme. Just to let people know about it. Shared that pic on Instagram, too. Some countries actually have special national activist programs going on today. Not sure if the US has any going on. World IBD is coming up soon, too. That would be another good one to raise awareness for.

If I offended anyone with yesterday's post, I apologize. I just needed to get it off my chest, so to speak. I probably won't mention that (at least the word) again. Exorsexism or enbyphobia can be disturbing, especially in your own community. I should have probably framed it more like that instead.

Not many people showed up to the local trans meeting last night. More than last time, at least. With that one there was just Dad, me, and one other person. This time we had 5. One of which hadn't been there in a while. Ze is also enby. Ze/zir are their pronouns. Hopefully, I'm getting that right. There are apparently a few ways to spell that pronoun, and I don't know which way ze spells it. I've heard it before, so it's common enough. With learning German, 'sie' is pronounced as 'zee' (some people spell this pronoun as zee), it's used for she, they, and a formal you. Makes me wonder if this is where that pronoun came from. It'd be interesting. I brought that up, and ze seemed interested in that, too. He is 'er' which is pronounced similar to saying the word 'air' in English. Found out recently that 'er' can also be used for the word 'it'. That sounds somewhat demeaning. Most of the time 'es' (like pronouncing the letter 's') is 'it'. 

Pride came up. We most likely will have a booth. Might have lemonade or iced tea there, as well as candy. That would be nice on a hot day. Not sure how we'll do the clothing exchange. We ended up talking about my ace group, which I didn't expect. That group online has gone quiet since last December. That's a long time. I was mostly the only one actively posting stuff for a while. At some point I got tired of being the only one. No one really showed up to the offline meetings, too. One person that I knew showed up a few times, and yes he is demi and therefore on the ace spectrum, but it felt more like a solidarity thing. I gave up on that close to a year ago. There was one person that joined the online group around November, and was really wanting to jump start the group. I let them try. They posted a few times, and then disappeared. They're still a member, but never heard from them again...We still have 17 online members, and I'm surprised they haven't dropped it. The group last night suggested I still hand out my flyers from last year. If anything, I can educate (there's info on what being ace means on it) or let another ace know that there are others here. I just remembered that I never mentioned the meeting place or time for the offline one, so it might still work. I do mention the fb group. I don't know...I think only 2 or 3 were taken last year. 

I want to get some Pride-related clothes and other merch soon. The only things I have is a 3' x 5' ace flag, a small genderqueer flag, a rainbow wristband (it was free, but it's falling apart), and maybe a rainbow colored strange looking necklace. That's it. Nothing like shirts. One of the members last night brought up that she bought some Pride gear, and that reminded me of it. It'd be cool to have something related to most of my 'labels'. Stuff that I could wear during the rest of the year, too. I can be more out and proud. I do have a list I compiled last year of online Pride-related retailers. I was thinking about it last year too, but never got to it. It'd be great if I did before Pride month this year. Those retailers sell that stuff year-round, so it's not like as soon as Pride season is over they suddenly shut down. However, it is their biggest season, and there might be more deals. 

We went to Shari's afterwards. I don't normally like carrot cake, but I thought I would try theirs. They were out of them. I got their cheesecake with strawberries instead. It was nice, dense, and rich. Smaller than I expected, but that might be a good thing. Tons of strawberries, so that was a plus.

I stayed up a little too late, so I got up later than I'd like. Today has been really cool weather wise, which is nice compared to a few days ago. I feel like I have the energy to do more when it's like this. I woke up feeling sick, though. There's something going on with my nose and throat. My nose especially hurts. I know I get sick easier and more often than I used to, but it's still annoying. The heat may have messed with me. 

Finished the section for German. There's only one more section left, which has 20 lessons. There's a lot more than it seems, because after finishing the first 'level' for those lessons, I plan to go back to the beginning and level out everything. There are 5 levels for every lesson. I somehow already finished 3 levels of the basic stuff, even though I didn't go back yet. Maybe it's because I've gotten so far? 

Read more of the manga, Helck. It's gotten really serious lately. They were going to kill all the winged mutated humans, but have decided to save them somehow instead. Vamirio realized her uneasiness around Helck was really her sensing how he felt. He didn't want to kill his old friends, but was steeling himself in order to save the demons. There does seem to be ways of breaking the king's spell. Edil broke away from it on his own for a while. When Helck hugged Alicia, in the chapter I read, she managed to hug back. She's still in there. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Started dusting my bedroom. Did all of my nightstand, the bed's headboard behind it, and part of the dresser under the window. I hadn't washed the shallow silver dish that I use for my earplugs in a long time. It might have caused me problems. It looked shinier after I washed it (instead of just dusting it), which was nice to see. There was a very thick layer of dust on the nightstand. Probably not healthy, considering it's near my head when I sleep. It's better now, at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment