Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Second Day of Pesach!

Mood::iconthailandplz:


It's the second day of Passover! I was going to post one of the holiday songs that's still stuck in my head, but can't find a good version online.:iconswissplz:The first seder was at our house, and it was just us. Kind of felt nice, although I do like it when there's more people too. The second night was at a friend of the family's house. There was 12 people. Some I knew, and the ones I didn't know have never been to a seder. I like when it's mixed like that.:iconchibinitalyplz:The 2 big dogs got a little rambunctious at times, but they were ok. For dinner we had eggs, gefilte fish, salad, matzah ball soup, brisket, garlic green beans, and popovers. Then, chocolate matzah, chocolate mint things, fruit salad, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Those cookies are still kosher for Passover, and are almost like eating cookie dough. Really good.:iconitalyplz:Homemade too. So, the biggest nights are already over with.:phew:
I didn't blog the last couple of days, because I was busy getting ready for the holiday and didn't feel too great.:iconkikuplz:I made some Passover granola. (In pic.) It has matzah farfel (Matzah- like a giant cracker. Matzah farfel- it's broken up into pieces.), honey, raisins, slivered almonds, and walnuts. Really good, and simple to make. Nice for breakfast.:iconchibicanadaplz:Also, made the 'English toffee' matzah. That's matzah with a layer of caramel, then a layer of chocolate, and walnuts sprinkled on top. So good!:iconchibispainplz:There was a small accident when I was making it. I used too small of a baking sheet, and some of the caramel spilled off onto the bottom of the oven. And, then burned.:iconwtfukplz:So, it's still a little smoky. But, the toffee still turned out awesome! Made the Charoset. It's that apple, nut, wine, and cinnamon mixture I mentioned before. The apple pieces didn't turn out as small as I wanted them to. But, it was still good. I made some of the popovers we brought to 2nd night's seder. They were pretty good. I've made these things before, but it's been a while.:iconheroamericaplz:Popovers are made with matzah meal, margerine, water, and eggs. They're easy to make. You just put the mixture in a muffin pan, and put into the oven. And, they puff up, oddly. It's weird, because there's no leavening.O_oBut, it's nice.


Mom made the matzah ball soup for our seder. Plus, some BBQ'd steak, popovers, boiled eggs, boiled potatoes with parsley, asparagus, and I think that's it. (A lot of stuff though.) We have like a million desserts now too.:iconicelandfukkiretaplz:Matzah mint thin things, my toffee, chocolate kichel (nasty!:iconromanoplz:The original egg kichel is better! Kichel's like an egg puff with a little sugar on top), chocolate macaroons, marbled mandel cuts (like tiny marbled biscotti), Passover marshmallows, and some other things that aren't coming to mind. So, lots of good stuff all around. Plus there's potato chips, some leftover matzah ball soup (enough to feed an army:iconchibipolandplz:), hard-boiled eggs, Passover noodles (they're strange, and apparently I'm the only one who likes them, and will actually eat them:iconpolandplz:), gefilte fish, lots of plain matzah, and other stuff. 


I'm feeling a lot better today. Yay!:dummy:I'm thinking of looking through our bread cookbooks. That might be a little weird, since I can't have the stuff yet. But, I hope to make some in the future. Also, it's only the beginning of Pesach, where I'm not really craving it yet.:iconnorwayunimpressedplz:Looked at our Malay cookbooks on Sunday. Only found 3 really tasty sounding recipes: glutinous yellow rice, layered spiced fish and rice, fish curry. Looked at our Singaporean cookbooks. Found only one thing: toffee apples. Hoping to find more online after I finish my list. 
Started a new anime called Ao no Exorcist, or Blue Exorcist. Really cool show so far! Seems pretty original too. Their world consists of 2 dimensions joined as one, like a mirror. Humans live in the world of Assiah. (Hmmm... Sounds like the Kabbalist's view. It's the world of action.) Demons live in the other world, Gehenna. (This sounds familiar too.) The 2 dimensions are not supposed to interfere with each other, but demons still possess creatures in Assiah in spite of this. Humans who can fight these demons are called exorcists. Rin is apparently the son of Satan, but is being raised by an exorcist. He didn't know until the end of the episode that he's not his real father. He started seeing the demons too.

No comments:

Post a Comment