Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What A Trip!

Well, I just came back from an awesome trip to Florida to visit my grandparents. So tired still from it. :D Spent about 8 or 9 days there. It ranged from 70 to 85 most of the time. So different compared to our normal 33 or 35 normal highs! I actually felt hot. Relax We saw a nature preserve, the beach, a Japanese museum and zen gardens, a Jewish museum, the fancy (celeb) houses next to the water, little Havanna, and more. (Which I'll post more about later.)

The last time I actually saw my grandparents was years ago. There was one time in between (about 5 years ago) but that was for a day. My grandma's not doing too well, so that was the main reason for the visit. Worried Actually, she seemed a lot better than we thought she would be. Grandpa's still doing great. Exercises, works, takes care of Grandma and never asks for help with things. OMG I think he takes on too much.

We also got to see Joan and Marvin, who are good family friends. In fact, they basically are like family now. ^_^
I think my grandpa's been friends with them since he was a marine. Can't remember, but it's been a VERY long time. Also, Grandpa talked more about when he was in the marines, which he didn't talk about much before. He made lots of friends while he was stationed in China. They gave him so many cool things. He liked the people he met more than being in the marines. I think he was forced to enlist for some reason.

Both of them are awesome artists and their condo is full of artwork. Grandma still participates in shows. Grandpa I think just does it for fun now. He showed me his old artwork. (Like stuff he did in high school.) Grandma gave me her Anatomy for Artists book, since I told her I still need help with that. It's from 1944. O.O It was just a very interesting trip! Had a lot fun, but I'm so glad I'm home now! At some point I'll post all the pictures I took on deviantART. There's a lot, hopefully it won't be too many for people. ;)


One of my Hanukkah presents arrived today. It's pomegranate and mango frangranced shower gel, body mist, lotion, and it came with one of those sponge things. All from Avon, which is what my mom sells, although she's thinking of stopping it. Smells really nice! I'm a sucker for those smelly shower things. :P

Also, today I made 2 of the recipes from my new cookbook for dinner. One is called Green Tea and Rice Soup. The other was Green Beans in Miso Dressing. The first one also has some salmon and nori in it. It was nice, healthy, and easy, but kind of plain. It was nice that she said you can add your own condiments. (Kind of like Pho, where you can add your own stuff to the soup.) The green bean dressing was awesome! :D It had 2 different kinds of miso, Japanese mustard (which is very potent. O.O), sake, water, and yuzu juice sprinkled on top. (Yuzu is a type of citrus, supposedly only found in Japan. It smells a bit like an etrog to me. It's a bit of a cross between lemon and lime.) As a whole, the dressing was nice and tangy. It was a bit addicting. XD We also bought a ton of other Japanese ingredients for more of these recipes and for the riceballs I'm hoping to make. We even bought umeboshi paste for them. Umeboshi is a pickled plum, although it's in the same family as apricots. That should be fun! I'm going to start making the onigiri tomorrow for lunch. We'll see how they turn out! ^_^

Youtube:
Kind of funny short about Neru trying to give something to Len:

No comments:

Post a Comment