Friday, December 11, 2009

Marionette

From the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei soundtrack. One of my faves! ^_^ I woke up a little late, because I had another hard night. Took a while to warm up in bed, then I was wide awake for a while, then heard my dad in the morning. So, fun fun! :P

I found a site that had tests on kanji and their meanings. Just did it to see how well I actually remember the basics. On the 3 I tested on, I ranged from 93- 100% correct. O.O That's nuts! Sometimes I feel like I never know enough, but when I test myself, it turns out I do. According to the MLC (Megumi Language Center in Tokyo), out of the 600 kanji from the beginner's list, I know 520- 540 of them. That's awesome! :3 (Beginners are like level's 4 and 3 combined!) They also say that I know 90- 100% of the grammar for the Level 4 test. Coolness! For the Level 4 kanji I know all of them but one. (This is out of 50 that they showed.) For the Level 4 vocab I know all of them but 1, yet again. But, that one had like 1 star for what is used most often. 5 stars is the most common. So, I guess I have to study for Level 3 next year. I guess I'll have more time to study for it then I did for this one. So, it seems like it will turn out well too! I've also noticed that I can read and understand Japanese when it's in the characters (Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji) more than when it's in Romaji. I guess that's a good sign, kind of like it's becoming more natural for me. :D

We now have someone who's going to come by and take care of Tasha while we're gone. Which really nice, considering we'll be gone for about 9 days. O.O She can't go much more than 2 days without attention. Also, will have to have someone give her more food, and empty the litter box for her. So, that's nice.

Tonight's the first night of Hanukkah. Wahoo! One of my favorite holidays! We're going to have latkahs, steak, and bok choy for dinner. Latkahs or latkes (depends on where you're from) are potato pancakes. Usually has shredded potatoes, onions, egg, and garlic made into a patty and fried in oil. Very tasty! ^_^

Hanukkah means dedication, it commemorates the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem following the Jewish victory over the Syrian- Greeks. The rebels who fought the Greeks for religious freedom were called the Maccabees. After the war, there was only enough oil for 1 night to light the menorah. It instead lasted for 8 days, so we celebrate the holiday for 8 days. We also eat really oily foods to celebrate this miracle. We also light the menorah for 8 nights, each night adding a candle on. (Like the first night is 2 candles, next 3, etc. The 'extra' one is kind of like a helper candle to the others and rests in the middle of a menorah.) This year we're putting like 7 menorahs up on top of foil covering our piano. It turns into like a bonfire on the last night. :P So, instead of 'glorifying' the victory we celebrate the miracle. But, without this victory, there probably wouldn't be a miracle. It creates a bit of a paradigm for some people.

We also exchange presents, but that's more of an assimilation type thing. Since everyone else was celebrating Christmas at the same time, kids would get upset, since their friends would get presents. I heard the tradition used to be to give coins to your teachers. Sounds a bit nicer, but I like getting presents too. :P

We also play a game called dreidel. It's a top that you spin, and you follow whatever it lands on. The 4 letters on the sides are gimel, nun, shin, and hey. It stands for neis gadol haya sham, which means a great miracle happened there. There's a different version for if you already live in Israel. It ends with saying here instead of there. If it lands on nun, you don't do anything. Gimel, you get the whole pot. Shin, you have to give half. Hey, you get half the pot. It's essentially a gambling game. Although, we usually play with chocolate coins, raisins, nuts, or basically anything else other than money. We played with match sticks one year. O.O We also sing a bunch of songs. It's just a really nice and fun holiday. ^_^ So, I can't wait! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment