Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2nd Day of Passover!

Mood::iconthailandplz:

It's the 2nd day of Passover, already. Feels like it's about to start still...:iconswissplz:The 1st night we had our own seder at home. With just Dad and I. It was nice, but I ended up having to prepare, and cook a lot. Haven't had a seder at home in a long time. 

I made Passover granola for breakfasts during the holiday. It turned out awesome!:iconchibispainplz:Tastes kind of like candy. Just has matzah farfel (matzah broken into pieces), honey, a little oil, walnuts, and raisins. Also, made the charoset. Charoset is a chopped up apple, walnut, wine, and cinnamon mixture. At least, that's what our family does. Sephardic Jews (from Spain, and the Mediterranean) have a different version. Usually with things like dates, raisins, nuts, more spices, etc. Seems more complex. But, our family version is an Ashkenazic one. (Ashkenazic Jews come from Germany, France, Eastern Europe.) But, every family does it differently, too. I find it interesting that way.:iconchibinitalyplz:

Hard-boiled a ton of eggs. Both to have a couple at our seder, and to make egg salad for lunches during the week. We seem to use a lot of eggs for cooking during the holiday.:iconseychelles-plz:Also, made some potato kugel from a boxed mix. Basically, the only type of traditional 'kugel' I like. It's like a potato casserole. 

Made an 'Apple Crumble' cake, as well, to have as dessert at our seder. It was from a mix too, but surprisingly good for a Passover cake. Made some Passover popovers as well. Those are always a hit. A friend of the family always asks for them for their seder. 

Dad made the matzah ball soup, and a pot roast. The soup came out awesome!:iconfrancisplz:The roast was ok. Also had a mixed greens salad, gefilte fish, and some 'double dipped' chocolate matzah with our seder. I was really stuffed, and exhausted afterwards. Dad was so stuffed, she didn't stick around to finish the seder.:iconpolandplz:There's just a little more of it after the dinner part. 

For last night's, we went to our friend's seder. Just had to bring the popovers and charoset. The only thing that was a bit...weird, was one of the people there had just had brain damage from a car crash (I think). So, she had a very hard time remembering what we just went over, asking odd questions, etc. She wasn't Jewish, so it was a bit entertaining to hear some of her questions. Just made things interesting, I guess. Our friend, and many families, like to invite people who aren't Jewish to seders. It's a good custom, because people get more of an understanding of what we're about. It's also fascinating to me to hear what they think about it all.:iconchibihungaryplz:Met a couple of new people, too. One was pretty close to my age, so it was cool to chat with him a bit. It was a really nice one. We had matzah ball soup (their kind I'm not too fond of), hard-boiled eggs, gefilte fish, brisket, green beans, mixed greens salad, beets, the popovers, a fruit mix, fruit (jelly) slices, Passover peppermint patties, mandel cuts, chocolate covered matzah, chocolate covered raisins, Passover chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate candies (don't remember what they were called). By the end of the night, I was extremely stuffed, yet again. 

They practically begged me to take stuff back home with us. Decided to take what was left of the chocolate matzah. Now, we have a ton of leftovers. I was thinking about making the meat pie, that I wanted to do for one of the nights. But, we have so many leftovers, I think we should finish those first. The meat pie sounds like it'll be tasty.:iconitalyplz:

Watched the finale of Cuticle Tantei Inaba. It did not feel like a finale!:iconromanoplz:I've grown to love it, and they say that's the end? Kind of weird. Leaves it wide open for a second season. They didn't even get to introduce a new character that randomly showed up at the end. Finished Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. It was a very good series, and I think they could easily make a second season. Oh, and I'm trying to get back into my regular sit-up 'routine' this week. Starting at 10 twice a day this time. I think if I started with the 65 (how many I was at when they told me I should lay off on it, because of the 'wound' where the cyst was on my back) it'd be way too much. Might walk later, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment