Monday, May 14, 2012

National Apple Pie Day

Mood::iconchibicanadaplz:


This was actually yesterday. One of my fave pies!:dummy:Cherry tops it, though.8-) (Cool) Apparently, the first apple pie recipe was in 1381 in England. Dutch apple dates back to the late 15th century. The only difference at the time to the English recipe was a scoop of ice cream on top of the pie before it was served. Kind of interesting. 


Went to that cafe, the one I usually go to on Wednesdays, on Friday. By the way, it's called Poulsbohemian. The gorgeous weather started that day, so it was wonderful looking out onto the bay and seeing the boats.:iconfrancisplz:Got some hot chocolate, even though it was warm out. I just needed my chocolate!:iconhongkongplz:Someone was nice enough to drive me there. It was a member of the mahj group that meets there, which Mom was a part of. They moved it to Friday, because everyone had conflicts that week. Which is weird, because I don't remember them ever changing the day like that.:iconkikuplz:


I got some stuff done there, too. Worked on my Japanese lessons book, transposed another Irish tune, and did some crosswords.:meow: 


On Saturday, I managed to go to services in the morning with Dad. It was nice. In the afternoon, I met an old friend who I haven't seen in at least 9 years. We spent some time at the waterfront, while her dog played in the water. It was fun, and we got to catch up a bit on what was going on in our lives. She insists that the next time she's going to take me to lunch, and that it'll be her treat. Really nice of her.:iconhappychinaplz:It was also a nice day, weather-wise. 


On Sunday, to do something for Mother's Day and kind of to honor her, my dad and I went to the waterfront. Another great and warm day. After we walked on the boardwalk, we had some ice cream. I got a dulce de leche waffle cone, and she got a coconut one. Mine was awesome!:iconchibispainplz:(Messy, but awesome!) Then, we perused the shops for a bit. It was nice all in all. 


It's been even warmer today. Almost 80. Perfect temperature. Also, makes me feel a bit lazy and sleepy. But, I managed to do most of the stuff I wanted to for the day. Played a little of my clarinet. Did some pieces from my solo book, Beatles songs, Duke Ellington tunes, and a little Gershwin this time. Quite a bit done in such a short time...:iconseychelles-plz:
Started watching Toshi Densetsu no Onna, or Urban Legends Woman. Detective Tsukiko Otonashi works for the First Investigation Division team led by Ichio Tannai. She is obsessed with urban legends. She even claims she became a detective because of an urban legend. (Something that happened to her. She was 'spirited away' when she was little.) Whenever she comes across a case, she immediately wonders if it has anything to do with an urban legend. Meanwhile, forensic investigator, Hiroto Katsuura falls in love with her at first sight. He seems to have OCD, and is constantly trying to put things in order, clean things, adjust, etc. Bad when at a crime scene. It's interesting so far. I'm not sure if it lived up to my expectations yet though.:iconswissplz:I guess I'll see after watching more episodes. 


Started to type out a You Maga article. It's about parenting in the US, and people learning/teaching kids English. Very interesting. Read a newspaper article, put out by Asahi, online. It was kind of depressing.:iconlietplz:Apparently, they have predicted that there won't be any children alive in Japan in the year 3012. That's disturbing, but they said the birth rate has declined drastically. 

日本語
Went over another lesson in my book today. Mainly about how ある (aru) and いる (iru) are used to express possession as well as existence. They can be used for animate/inanimate possession. When the possessor is the topic, it's marked by には (niwa), and the 'what' is possessed is the subject marked by が (ga). The 'new' words that were introduced were: 立派な (rippana) or magnificent, (ima) or now, and 常連 (jouren) or regular customer. Got most of the practice sentences correct!:la:

Also, decided to look over the joyo list of kanji, and to see what kanji I should work on next. The joyo list is a list of all the common kanji, which is currently 2,136 characters. (As of 2010.) It's put out by the Japanese Ministry of Education. Normally, native speakers are taught 1,006 characters in primary school, and 1,130 in secondary school. I probably should have focused more on this system before.:iconwtfukplz:A lot of foreign learners use it as well. Found a pretty easy to look at version on wikipedia, of all places.:iconeestiplz:I'm starting from the beginning (1st grade stuff), and have noticed a couple of 'holes' already. Good thing I found the list then.:iconchibiamericaplz:I've been pretty good with kanji so far (even on the JLPT), but I definitely have room to improve. The way I've been teaching myself them has been kind of haphazard as well.Sweating a little...

Anyways, I went over the kanji. It can be pronounced as (ji) or あざ (aza). Most of the time it's . Which means: letter, character, word, handwriting. It can be used as a counter for letters/characters as well. If pronounced as あざ, it's a section of a village. Also, wrote it out numerous times to try and let it sink in. Funny how they use this character in the word 'kanji' or 漢. Appropriate, I guess. 

deviantART fave: Apple Pie I did not make this! Beautiful looking sweet. It's white chocolate, with an apple cider filling. They were testing their new airbrush. Looks tasty. (How fitting for this post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment