Monday, July 28, 2014

National Milk Chocolate Day!

Mood::iconchibiswedenplz:

My fave type of chocolate!:iconyayhanatamagoplz:I'm not too fond of the heaviness and bitterness of really dark chocolate. Even though that one may be more 'healthy'. But, milk chocolate still has some health benefits as well.:iconeestiplz:Yesterday was Parents Day. I'm glad there's a day like that. It should be more recognized, though.:iconpolandplz:

Supposedly, today and tomorrow will be the warmest days this week. It made it up to 85 degrees out last time I checked. Oddly, even though I was in that close to 110 degree weather for a while, it's still hot to me.:iconhanatamagoplz:Luckily, most of the time during the summer we're in the mid 70s and low 80s. Which is just about right. 

I've been able to keep up the 2 2-mile walks everyday (or 4 miles a day) this past week. (First time to do it for a full week straight! Yay!:la:Been trying for a while to do it.) Feeling a little weak in my legs and arms, but I'm wondering if that may be the heat or something with the way I've been eating lately.:iconsighingplz:Oh well. Hopefully it won't feel like that for too long. I started the 15 sit-ups twice a day for this week. It's nice that I've been able to stick to that as well. 

Finished reading A Treasury of American Jewish Folklore. Most of it was kind of boring...:iconboredomplz:Some of the immigrant stories, jokes, and insults were interesting. The Yiddish section was hilarious.:iconenglandispervyplz:Best part of the book, I think. There were a lot of sections I really wasn't crazy about. It was a big book. So, yay for being done with it now!:iconrelievedplz: 

The next one I'll start is The Ritual Bath by Faye Kellerman. I want to read the whole Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series, so I'm starting from the beginning.:iconberwaldplz:I think I've read the first 2 before, but want to refresh my memory before going onto the others. It's a detective/mystery series. I love pretty much anything in the mystery genre. (The ones that really make you think, too.) Just looked online to see how many books are in the series, and it seems like it's still ongoing. The 22nd book will be put out in September.:wow:The first book is from 1986. I definitely don't think we have the whole series, but I can read a good chunk of it. The author herself is an orthodox Jew, and incorporates some Jewish themes. This first book's title itself refers to a 'ritual bath' called the mikveh. Peter Decker is a detective who was raised as a Southern Baptist, but goes back to his Jewish roots after falling in love with Rina Lazarus, an orthodox Jew, while investigating the case in this first book. This first one is about a rape that occurs at a mikveh that's near a yeshiva (basically a Jewish school where you study Jewish texts, primarily the Talmud). Oddly, even though the subject matter is rather 'heavy', I remember it being a quick read. So, that should be interesting. It also won an award, and was nominated for another.
Started watching Kuroshitsuji (or Black Butler): Book of Circus a few days ago. I loved the first season of Kuroshitsuji, but hated the 2nd one.:iconswissplz:I don't think I watched more than a couple of those episodes. I didn't care for Aloise and Claud. I don't think they were originally from the manga either. They seemed...out of place for some reason. Aloise would kill or maim just for the fun of it, but there's a reason behind it with Ciel (2nd from the right in the pic- they're in different outfits than usual to infiltrate the circus) and Sebastian (far right in the pic). (I don't like when it's senseless.:iconnorwayunimpressedplz:) There wasn't nearly as much comedy in it, either. This 3rd 'season' or 'series' is based off of where the 1st season diverged from the manga. It's one of my fave arcs from it.:iconchibihungaryplz:That and the curry one. I haven't read too much of the manga, but decided to get back into it. (Dropped Embalming for now, so I could read this again. Might go back to it in the future.) Apparently, I'm at the end of this actual story arc. Perfect timing.:iconfrancisplz:The first episode of this one was great, and kind of cool to see it animated. 

Kuroshitsuji or Black Butler is set in Victorian-era London. On the young earl's, Ciel Phantomhive, 10th birthday a fire engulfed his manor house, his parents were murdered, and he was captured by a mysterious organization. After enduring excruciating and humiliating torture, and on the brink of death, he strikes a deal with a demon. His soul in exchange for his revenge. That demon is Sebastian Michaelis. To outsiders, he just seems to be Ciel's enigmatic black-clad butler, that's simply the best at what he does. One of his catch phrases is 'I'm just one hell of a butler'. Now, Ciel's the head of the Phantomhive corporation, and handles all of its business affairs. It's mainly a toy company. (I think they may have dealt with candy as well.) He also serves as the Queen's 'Watchdog' and stands at the top of the British underworld. He also solves the crimes plaguing London while waiting for the day he will exact his revenge. The criminals usually have a very violent yet very intricate and over the top end. (The series isn't for the faint of heart...:iconchibichinaplz:) The other servants are 'unique' as well. The gardener, Finnian or Finny, has super human strength and a lot of the time underestimates it. I think, if I remember correctly, he was a test subject before Ciel hired him. He looks weak, though. The cook, Bard, loves explosives and other weapons. He tries to test them out on people who cross Ciel. Mei-rin seems to be a bumbling clumsy maid most of the time, until she takes her glasses off. Then she becomes a ruthless sniper. I love that even the servants have crazy and interesting personalities.:iconheroamericaplz:This series has become so popular there's a live action movie based on it, a couple of specials, and a musical. I'm weary of trying out the movie.:icongermanyplz:The main character is supposed to be a descendant of Ciel. But, they made her look a little too close to her predecessor. Not sure if I like the choice for Sebastian, either...It'd be interesting to watch a recording of the musical. 
Started watching Kamen (or Masked) Teacher recently. It's better than I expected. It's based on the manga series of the same name. Sometime in the near future (they have it as 20XX), teachers are no longer allowed to mete out corporal punishment and disciplinary actions. Because of this, the teachers have lost their powers, and the students are now running wild. To correct the situation, the government decides to put a program into place to control the delinquent students by dispatching special teachers to schools across the nation. One of them is Araki Gota, on whom the government pins their hopes on with this Kamen Teacher program. He's assigned as homeroom teacher to one of the most violent classes at his new school. They beat him up on the first day, but he never fights back. He wants to help them, and thinks they just need to be better understood. The toughest group in the class calls itself M4. And, during the first episode he gets through to one of them. When he feels like he can't get a message across just as himself, he puts on the mask and gets on a motorcycle donned in leather. Kind of gets a different personality, too. More serious, and not as naive sounding. I thought it'd be lame because of the mask thing, but somehow it fits. Guess I'll just have to see where they take this one. 

I've decided that I might drop Chiritotechin. I don't really see the point in it.:icondontunderstandplz:It seems like Shinigami-kun and Smoking Gun have somehow been dropped by the people subbing them. (Don't see the raws either...) I'll drop them if they're not up this week, and might go back to them in the future. I'm nearing the end of Switch Girl. The next episode is the finale. This last one was kind of painful to watch.:iconwtfukplz:Hopefully, they make it up to us with the finale. I might try out a new veterinarian drama to replace one of the 'slots'. But, other than that the current season looks dry for dramas.:iconromanoplz:First time that's really happened where I can't find too many good ones in a current season. I'm thinking, until the fall season, watching different anime shows for those time 'slots'. That'll also give me a chance to try some 'new' shows. New to me, at least. Still, makes it exciting!:iconchibinitalyplz:That means I can try 4 or 5 more anime shows. I know that Log Horizon said it'll be back in the fall, so that's one to look forward to as well. 

Made kind of an interesting combo for dinner tonight. Ramen noodles, broccoli, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, tons of garlic, some hoisin, some rice vinegar, and a little soy sauce. Turned out pretty tasty.:iconitalyplz:Kind of savory and garlicky. 

Dad apparently has an infection. She felt really sick last night and still does. She went to urgent care earlier to get looked at. The area that had the surgery is infected, so they made an appointment for her to see a surgeon tomorrow. That doesn't sound good.:iconraivisplz:She spent 5 hours there. 

Wrote more of the 10th short story for my nightmare anthology. It's turning out totally different than I expected, but I think that makes it fun. Tried to finish up studying 和 and its compounds, so I could finally start the next 'grade' up. For some reason, the internet connection was slow during that, and only got through a few compounds...:iconkikuplz:Maybe next time I'll get to it. Did pretty well with the practice quiz on JapaneseClass' site. Started typing out the next section to that long You Maga article. This one's about the flu and how to safeguard against it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment