Friday, September 6, 2013

Rosh Hashanah 5774!

Mood::iconthailandplz:

L'shana Tova! Happy New Year!:dummy:Rosh Hashanah started Wednesday night, and ends tonight. Yom Kippur starts next Friday night, and ends Saturday night. I was going to make the honey cake Mom used to make, but didn't have enough time to. I could still make it in the near future. Doesn't have to be for Rosh Hashanah, I guess.:iconchibiswedenplz:Went to OneShul's early erev RH services Wednesday morning. It was very interesting and nice. The theme was basically about our relationships. Not just 'romantic' ones, but like our relationship with the world around us and the universe. 

Then, I went to our local synagogue's service that night. It was really packed there.:iconseychelles-plz:Saw a lot of people I haven't seen in a very long time. It had been years since I saw a couple we were pretty close to a while ago. (Probably something like 6 or 7 years ago since we saw them last. Maybe longer.:iconusaplz:) It was very nice to catch up with them. The service itself was nice. Occasionally, the singers seem to draw out their songs a bit longer than they needed to. 

We brought apple strudel 'twists' for the dessert potluck. They were much bigger than I expected. Lots of good looking sweets this time too. Surprisingly, not very many honey cakes.:iconohboyamericaplz:People sounded really impressed by my novel being published. They immediately wanted to check it out. Luckily, I had brought a few flyers with me. They also asked me to join the book group. Funny how people automatically assume that you'd be into that if you tell them you've published a book.:iconnataliaplz:I'm more into writing, and I kind of feel at home more if I'm reading a book (that I picked) and don't have to 'discuss' it with other people. But, it was nice of them to offer.:iconheroamericaplz:They also said I should advertise it in the newsletter. But, I didn't think they would do that for my novel, especially because it's not a Jewish book.:icontinoplz:Cool that I know they can and want to do it. Might get more potential sells through it. Really didn't expect that I would be doing some marketing, especially on Rosh Hashanah. 

The next morning I went early to the morning service. Had to wait about a half hour before the adult service started. The person who drove me was in charge of part of the setting up and greeting people. That was ok, got a chance to talk to the other person who carpooled with us. The adult service lasted much longer than I remember it being in the past. (I think the rabbi's drash was really drawn out this time, and he kept saying the same things. Might be the reason for it being so long.) Went from 10:30am to a little after 1:30pm. Didn't get home until 2pm.:iconwtfukplz:I was SO hungry! I couldn't do tashlich, because of it being so late. Tashlich is a short service where we 'cast away' our sins (represented by bread crumbs) into a moving body of water. In this case, it was going to be at a pier. So, I missed doing it last year and this year. Apparently, not very many people do it anymore. Sad.:iconamericasadchibiplz:

A while ago, I saw a 'life hack' for organizing nail polish. Thought that it was a nice idea. I already have a container for them, but didn't do the label part of it. Not very many of my nail polishes actually have a name on the bottle. And, they look different than what you can see through the bottle when it's on your nails. For the labeling part they make separate little boxes of each nail polish on some paper, use a hole puncher, and then glue it to the matching bottle. Sounds simple. I couldn't find a hole puncher, and found a weird glue at a Japanese store. I thought the glue would just be like most glues, but it was like rubber cement.:iconnorwayunimpressedplz:So, I used scissors instead of a hole puncher, rolled up pieces of tape to make them 'double' sided, and put it on the bottles. Not the best, but at least I can see what they look like now. Might do a better job of it in the future...My next 'project' will be going through my desk. Might do that on Sunday. Not sure.:iconpolandplz:

My new therapist called me and left a message while I was at services yesterday. She just wanted to make an appointment for me. She mentioned the days she'll be there, and we can start next week if I want. I still have to see what would be best for me then I'll call her back. My previous therapists never called me. So, this feels more personal and friendly. 
This is my wallpaper for the month. It's Hibari from Hitman Reborn. Thought it seemed pretty relevant with the mood and theme for the High Holidays. It's a time for personal reflection. I think if I remember the description of the wallpaper, Hibari is actually looking at his older self, or vice a versa. In the series, they are forced 10 years into the future. Their older selves are switched with the younger ones. Not all the characters switch, and not all at the same time. Interesting to see their older selves, and what they have become. Anyways, it seems like a very nice and emotional wallpaper.

My spice calendar features wasabi this month. I like it in very small amounts. And, I know that the 'real' stuff is much stronger. Most places might use a little bit of wasabi in actual wasabi paste, and mix it with other stuff. It mentions the history of it, where it originated from (Japan), wine pairings, and simple recipes.

My Jewish calendar features a wood panel to a sukkah (temporary structure we use on Sukkot) with a nice painting. The maker is unknown, from the Netherlands; 1830. There's also an etrog (a citrus-like fruit we use for Sukkot) box, made of silver, from Germany; 1850-1900. And finally, there's an etrog basket, made of silver, maker is unknown, from Alkmaar, Netherlands; 1916. Sukkot starts the night of the 18th, and goes until the night of the 25th. I almost forgot that it was coming up, too. Simchat Torah is right after that on the night of the 26th, until the next night. Lots of holidays...It's good, but can feel a bit hectic.:iconwtfromanoplz:

The month-long holidays are: National Biscuit Month, National Breakfast Month, National Chicken Month, National Honey Month, National Potato Month, National Rice Month, National Piano Month. Some are important causes, some are to make you appreciate things you may take for granted, and some are just for fun. Love all those foods! Piano is a pretty cool instrument. Never really played it. I used to play around on a nice keyboard when I was little, though. Not really the same thing, and I respect people who do play it. Actually, I pretty much respect most musicians...Anyways, nice holidays this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment