Wednesday, January 9, 2019

National Apricot Day!

I love apricots! I don't get them too often, though. Used to get dried apricots all the time years ago. It's even more rare for me to have the fresh kind. The fresh ones are nice and soft, and have a more intense flavor. 

I'm trying to stick more to my diet this week. The last few weeks have been odd, because of holidays and so much good food. I didn't stray too much from it, at least. My 'diet' is having 1200-1600 calories during the week. It doesn't matter how much I have during the weekend. (Starting with Friday night, since it's Shabbos.) Sometimes I don't care every other Wednesday night after the local trans group meeting, since we go to Shari's after. So, 2 or 3 Wednesdays a month in addition to the weekends. I'm trying to shoot for within the 1400s most of the time now. I split it up into 5 small meals a day. For many people with IBD, including me, it's better to have smaller meals more often throughout the day. I also try to watch how much sugar I'm having and stick to the range in My Fitness Pal. The funny thing is I often don't get enough sugar. This is despite having so much fruit during the day. I have a hard time absorbing protein, especially when I'm flaring, so I need more than what's recommended for healthy people. Most of the time I hardly ever make it to half the normal amount for the day, though... Trying to be better about that. My potassium is often low, too. It's hard to balance this stuff with small meals. I think I'm doing ok with it this week. 

I've found out what an exact serving of cantaloupe is. Before this week, I wasn't really measuring it. I just took what I wanted. A full serving is a lot. I think I have half normally. It's very interesting to see what a serving is for many foods. For some, it looks like hardly anything, for others it looks like way too much. Plus, some 'single' servings are way too many calories for one meal to me. I have to keep this in mind with some things. It's made me view food differently since I started this 'diet' a few years ago. Some things that used to look like a decent amount look huge now. Even on the days where I can have as much as I want, I end up not being able to eat as much as I used to. 

After sticking closely to this, I can't seem to eat much more than half of what I get at most restaurants, too. It's made me realize how big the portions at restaurants actually are. I tried recently to get smaller versions of things at them. Telling them things like I want 1 pancake instead of 3, half the eggs, half of an entree, 1 biscuit, etc. I was surprised by how many could actually accommodate for that. Some told me they couldn't change the portion of something, but could leave out something else. That was nice. I also told myself not to take home any leftovers. A lot of the stuff I might get is usually not that good the next day. Plus, when I'm eating like this, it takes me forever to eat the regular things at home during the week. In fact, I sometimes end up getting tired of eating it. I'm noticing that this week. Feels like things are taking forever to eat, especially since for a lot of it I eat a half or quarter serving. This also runs the risk of things going bad before I finish or even start them. That's a balancing act in itself. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of food when I tell them that I'm not taking the leftovers. However, they're the ones that make such huge portions. It's not my fault that way. If the food is really exceptional or I hardly ever go there, I might take what's left home. That will be rare, though. 

Finished the V. Cond. unit for Italian. Read more of Choujin Gakuen or Supernatural School. I'm getting close to finishing this one. It's been better than expected. Messed a bit with drawing Shadow's torso. I decided to see what I could do without looking at that artist's anatomy book. It's looking better than I thought it would. Still need to tweak it more. Practiced my clarinet. Played klezmer tunes. I think I'm already improving a lot. Edited more of Alliance. Found even more errors than yesterday...

It's been pouring rain all day, so I tried to find an umbrella to take with me for my walk. All of them are either broken or made for a kid (too small to cover much). It was disappointing. We'll just have to get new umbrellas. My coat may have a hood, but it's not made for the rain. It soaks right through it. In the meantime, I ran up 10 flights of stairs. I did 3 flights 3 times with breaks in between, then one more. I read that 20 is a mile. However, it's a lot more intensive than my walks, so I thought half of that would be good enough. Even though my walks are 2 miles each time. Supposedly, it won't rain for the rest of the week. Yay! That's good, at least.

Been watching Gab-Dong. It's a mystery/detective Korean show. It's good so far, except for the long intense glares they usually end the episodes with. This is inspired by a real life serial killer. He killed and raped 10 women from 1986 to 1991. The killer has been compared to the Zodiac Killer. Apparently, they did something with it for Criminal Minds. The killer was never found. There were over 20,000 suspects before it turned into a cold case. They think a murder in 2004 was related to this case, which sparked new interest in it. In this show, there's a copycat killer carrying out the murders exactly, or with very slight changes, to the previous murders. The original Gab-Dong, name they refer to as the killer (I don't think they know his real name in the show), is still alive and in a mental institution. Both the new and old one are extremely intelligent. Neither of them have left any traces of themselves behind. They thought they had DNA (especially with the rape part), but mysteriously it was destroyed. The hairs they found on the most recent victim were actually from her clients. She was a hairstylist. The hair thing was new. Seemed like he was laughing at them. He was framing the lead detective for a while, and then suddenly made him look innocent. He may be even better than his idol, the real Gab-Dong. The actor certainly acts the part really well. He's also a patient of the psychiatrist in the story. She works in a mental institution for criminals. Same one that the original killer is still at. She suspects he's there, but she doesn't know who he really is. The copycat recently got out of that center, but still sees her. She has an odd fixation with Gab-Dong, and both of them have a thing for her. She might be their next target. 

No comments:

Post a Comment