Thursday, January 10, 2019

4th of Shevat

Finished the V. Modal unit in Duolingo's Italian course. Started and almost finished with the Cond. Per. one. Only had a few mistakes this time. Oh, now every time I see my Dove body wash and shampoo/conditioner, I think of the Italian word that's spelled the same way but pronounced differently. (Pronounced: doh-vay.) It means 'where' in English. Feels like it's asking me where every time I use those... 

Read more of Helck. Haven't read it in a while. It was revealed that they're in an apocalyptic distant future. I thought it was just a fantasy world. They do occasionally mention their year. Apparently, the 'poison air' surrounding the demon empire is radiation from nuclear fallout hundreds of years ago. Both the demons and humans revere a people called the Ancients in their texts. That's us. They were trying to come up with better and more evolved humans. The experiments went horribly out of control, and they had to nuke the area. (I'm not sure if it was all of Earth.) Few survived. I think the demons are actually mutated humans. That experiment, which seems to have been some sort of virus, was passed on to the ones that call themselves humans now. They've been testing it, and the ones that survive turn into winged soldiers that never die, but eventually lose their minds. The others turn into 'monsters' and are exterminated. A lot of it makes sense now. However, I'm still not sure how the 'king' controls the soldiers with it. I didn't know they'd go so deep with this. It started off like a light-hearted comedy, but turned seriously dark quickly. There's still plenty of humor, though.

Tried to mess with Shadow's torso again. It's slowly turning out the way it should. I still have to shape it to how I want. Might take a while. They do say that it takes practice to get that stuff down.

Practiced my clarinet. Played more klezmer. Edited more of Alliance. Almost to the 11th chapter. Yay!

Started watching Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue or My Roommate is a Cat (sometimes translated lit. to: My Housemate is Sometimes on My Lap, Sometimes on My Head). It's about a mystery novelist, Subaru, and a cat, Haru, he took in. He found the cat at his parents' grave. (They both passed away at the same time, I think.) The novelist hates people, and before he met the cat, he was only interested in books. He doesn't know much about cats. Haru was a stray, and had a tough life up until then. It was interesting that they showed her perspective, too. This was better than I thought it would be. 

With the first episode, it seemed very much like my relationship with Rosie. He forgets to eat sometimes, and Haru kept trying to give him hints to eat. Putting pieces of her kibble at his bedroom/office door a few times, scratching at the door, and then dragging her food bowl to it. Eventually, after scolding her for being too distracting, he passes out. A little later, in a half conscious state, he grabbed cat food from the bowl, ate it, and went on a weird writing rampage on memos near him. She was surprised, but proud to have 'saved' him. One of my occasional symptoms with colitis is not feeling hunger. It happens even when I'm in remission. I sometimes forget to eat because of it. (I usually try to set an alarm when I feel like that.) Rosie will meow at me while I'm in my room, and sometimes scratch at the door. If I get up, she'll bite my pant leg and try to drag me with her. Once I go downstairs, she'll run to her food bowl, make like she's going to eat, stare at me, stare at the refrigerator, and then back to her bowl. She'll repeat this until I start making something. If I don't, she'll eventually grab me again. She sits patiently on the hard floor next me as I make something in the kitchen. She'll then follow me to where I eat, wait a moment to make sure I'm eating, and then walks away. If I don't finish my food, she runs back to me, and lays against me (not letting me get up) until I finish it. She does a similar thing normally, but not as demanding about it. She's very happy when I eat, too. I think she thinks she keeps me alive or something. It's cute, nice to have a creature care about me so much, yet kind of creepy at the same time. She seems to do more than what Haru did. Some people commented that what Haru did wasn't realistic. It seemed pretty real to me. The creator probably based Haru off their own cat. Maybe they're not cat owners? Also, cats aren't all the same. I was surprised by Rosie doing that, too. 

Finished watching The Ancient Magus' Bride. I liked some of it, but there was a lot that was problematic. Plus, it seemed...pretentious. There was a lot of hype when it came out. I waited to watch it, because there was way too many other anime that I wanted to watch that season. They tried to make everything whimsical and magical. It fell a bit flat and seemed forced on that front. People were praising the music, but I found it too overdone. The art was great. The main problematic part came at the very beginning. A suicidal 15 year old girl, Chise, being sold to an emotionally stunted 500 year old male demon, Elias. Then, telling her to be his apprentice and that she's his bride. He doesn't understand the concept behind what a bride is. A lot of people felt uneasy about this. They even tried to explain it away in the show. Then, proceeded to romanticize it. Some people were defending it and saying it's a fantasy world and things are done differently. That's weak to me. It sends a creepy message. Not to mention a lot of the 'good' characters either tried to kill Chise or kidnapped her. They brought up a lot of Celtic folklore, but it seemed like they didn't do much with it. Kind of like spewing it out and having it there just because it seemed cool. Some of it they actually did incorporate, but not much. I really liked Ruth and Silky (aka Silver), though. Silky was once a banshee. She cried out so long, she lost her voice. So, she did a lot of grunts and such. She takes care of the house. Ruth is Chise's familiar who's a black grim. He has dog and human forms. The last episode seemed forced, rushed, and somewhat gag-inducing. I'm not regretting watching the whole thing, but it left a weird aftertaste. I really wanted to like it more than I did. I won't watch a 2nd season if there is one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment