Tuesday, January 7, 2020

10th of Tevet

For Duolingo's Scottish Gaelic course, today I leveled out of the Pets unit and started the 2nd level of Weather. Again, there are 5 levels or 'crowns' to each unit. Weather is the last unit before the first checkpoint. So, I'm cruising through it all again, despite now clearing all the levels each time. I think it might end up being 2 months in total with the language. I try to shoot for 3 months with each one, but at least it'll be closer this way. Couldn't get promoted to the next league last week, so I'm still in the obsidian one. Yesterday, I made it to 1st place. Today, 6th. I'm just trying to stay in the top ten long enough to advance. Surprised I managed 1st place on Monday, but that was the 1st day. 

Edited more of the cookbook. Went through the Cheese, Vegetables, Crepes/Pancakes/Waffles, Passover and Hanukkah sections. Next is Cakes. That was 14 pages of the ebook version, and 32 pages of the print. It really wasn't as much as it seemed, since many sections were short. 

Started drawing Vincent yesterday, and planning his pose. Hope I don't take as long as I did with drawing the others. In my head, he looks like he'd be fun to draw. 

I'm still sick with a cold, although much better than a few days ago. I'm trying to stay away from the severe DayQuil (Safeway version) as much as I can. Haven't had any since Sunday, I think. So, doing pretty good with that. Still taking NyQuil (again, the Safeway version) at night. It does give me some relief from the symptoms and helps with sleep. I'm trying to get back to things, too. Hard to focus on things while sick. 

Apparently I'm going to see a dentist for the first time in around 14 years on the 17th. I'm a little nervous about that, but I probably should see one as soon as possible now that I'm covered. My parent will have the same one. This one will be new for her, too. Her previous one was really rude. Hopefully, this one will be good. I'm guessing they'll do a deep cleaning with mine. I'm nervous that they'll look in my mouth and be shocked by it or something. My teeth don't seem that awful, but I'm neither a dentist nor hygienist. I used to love going to the dentist, because it honestly felt good to have someone poking around in there. Like, an itch I couldn't scratch. Felt really clean afterwards, too. As long as I didn't see much of what they were doing, I was fine. I might ask for them to take off the dental glue that held my permanent retainer. A few years ago, the wire to that broke off a little and became a spike pointing towards my tongue. So, I had a nurse at Urgent Care rip it out. (They will probably not like hearing this.) The only thing left of it is the glue. It's like having hard rice granules stuck to your teeth all the time. Annoying. 

Started playing an interesting game app on my phone called Obey Me. It's a dating sim. Even though I'm aro ace, I find some of them interesting. One of the artists I follow on deviantART had a few of them that were like parodies of the stereotypical ones. They were hilarious. I also find them similar to choose your own adventure type stories. Interesting to get characters to fall for you, too. Anyways, this one's about you being transported to a demon realm called Devildom. You're an exchange student at a demon school, and it's a year-long program. There's only one other human (which they've hinted might not actually be one) and 2 angels in it. I guess to promote harmony amongst demons, humans, and angels. Interesting concept already. You have to stay with 7 demon brothers, each are an avatar of the 7 deadly sins, in their dorm. One of the objectives, that I've noticed, is making pacts with all of them. Normally, pacts are made in exchange for your soul, but they said have you exchange other things that they really want. So far, each one has lived up to their avatar. (I've only made pacts with 3 of them: Greed, Envy, and Gluttony.) With Greed (aka Mammon in the game), you find his missing credit card, for example. There's mystery, a lot of humor, intriguing plot, and more. The English is surprisingly good considering a Japanese company put it out. They have Japanese voice actors speaking in Japanese but subtitles in English, so you still can understand them if you don't know the language. There are dance games where a 'surprise guest' might appear at the end and might give you presents. As you raise your 'intimacy levels', you get to interact with them more. You also get a special phone in the game that has apps and you can have one of the brothers as an assistant on the 'home screen'. It's a little creepy this way, but cool at the same time. They can call, message you in the messenger, mail you things, etc. Lots of elements to the game. The art is nice, too. 

Another awesome part is they don't refer to you in a gendered way. The ones behind the game purposefully made it as inclusive as possible. I've seen some gay cis men and trans people giving positive reviews because of it. They either refer to you by your name or as that human, human, you, that one over there, etc. Being agender, it's nice to be referred to without gendered language. Seems refreshing. They're not overly romantic either. They seem more 'real'.  

Started watching Marianne. It's a French horror/mystery series on Netflix. It's basically about a famous horror writer (Emma) that goes back to her hometown, and finds out the evil spirit of a witch (Marianne) that haunted her dreams, and is in her books, is wreaking havoc in the real world. Seems a little too close to home for me, which adds another scary element. If characters from Sweet Endless Terror became real...that would be even more terrifying. Even some of the demons from Alliance, might be too much. Yet, the idea is fascinating to me at the same time. The change in scenes are separated by pages flipping, and each new scenario is actually a title in one of her books. Things like Going Home when she's on the way to her hometown. She brought her assistant to help her. Marianne wants her to continue writing the series, but Emma wants to stop and write a different type of story. So, it's a bit like the movie Misery that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment