Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week 2018

This is always the week after Valentine's Day. It started on Sunday. The ones who created the holiday were going to go with Aromantic Awareness Week, but the acronym would have been the same as the one for Asexual Awareness Week. Aros have been trying to separate from that community, so they added 'spectrum' to it. The spectrum would have still been represented either way. Interesting when you're both aro and ace, and they're trying hard to break ties...Puts me in a weird spot. Those orientations are different things, so it makes sense. (It's kind of like saying you have brown eyes and brown hair when you're both.) Still...Most aros are allosexual, and most aces are alloromantic. That in itself makes it feel like I'm in an even smaller minority.

There are a lot of ace advocates that seem to forget about aro aces. They seem ignorant about it. You can see a similar thing on AVEN sometimes. Some of them seem particularly arophobic. Saying things like: "How could anyone not experience romantic attraction?" "An aro ace asked me what it felt like to be in romantic love. That's a stupid question. You'll know when you feel it, they just haven't met the right person." "They must be so heartless. How could they function without love?!" "You have to feel something romantically!" "There must be something wrong with them." It might seem like little things, but they add up. Plus, treating fellow aces like that isn't cool. 

However, on Arocalypse it's a totally different atmosphere for people like me. Maybe it's because it's such a smaller and more of a tight-knit community compared to AVEN. I checked, and apparently AVEN has 100,000 more members. Arocalypse has around 700 members. That's a huge difference. They're very kind and welcoming of everyone there. It's a similar design to AVEN, as well. The only downside is it's becoming more and more inactive. I hope it doesn't shut down.

I've wanted to post something aro related every day this week on fb. So far I've added an aro flag filter to my profile pic, added aro ace based art for the cover pic, posted a status introducing it, and found an article one of the ace pages shared. Not much, but it's something. I was thinking about posting all of the aro related pins I found on Pinterest. I'm nervous about that, and I have less than I thought. I shouldn't be nervous when it's on my own page. So what if no one likes or comments on them? It'll be out there and about something that's important to me. I realized I actually have a lot of interesting agender or enby related pins than I remembered. I could post those after this week. I might draw something, too. I was thinking about a stylized spade (like the suit of cards) and an arrow piercing through it. Might have the aro flag colors dripping off of it or something. Not sure if I'll ever get to that.

Had my annual eye exam yesterday. They wanted me to come in earlier, because the one who was doing it lives far from where I had it done. It was snowing that day, and she wanted to make sure she wouldn't get stuck along the way. It wasn't forecasted, and wasn't sticking.

I was very tempted to cross out the M and F on the intake form, and write/check off X or neither. It would have messed with them, and I just didn't have the energy to deal with it. I'm not an F, so checking that off felt really awful. Funny how my existence is too much for others and that I shouldn't be truthful. Why am I so controversial to people?

She was incredibly rude to put it mildly. She told me what I should fill out on the form, and a couple of minutes later she ripped it out of my hands. I was just going to ask about family eye health stuff. Instead, she asked Dad about it, and checked off the boxes. Why? She asked Dad specifically if it would be ok to dilate my eyes. I said I'd be fine with it, but she waited for her to answer. She said you should ask her. 

After some going back and forth, and me getting increasingly annoyed, she asked how old I was. It's on the form! Just look! I told her that I'm 33. She did a double take, and made me repeat myself. She tried to joke about it, saying that can't be right. Eventually, she did apologize. However, she also said I should feel lucky to look so young. If I don't yet, I will someday. I've been dealing with people thinking I'm younger than I am my whole life. It's really annoying. She obviously thought I was younger than 18. Sounded like it was by a lot. How could I appreciate being treated like a kid at my age? That's not lucky; that's disturbing to me. I must have stopped aging physically when I was a teen? I don't know. 

We were talking about her going home, and she said a rather sexist statement about the women working the front. That they don't have to worry, because they have husbands. She doesn't. Now, I'm not sure if she actually knew they had husbands or not. Instead of saying they live closer, to bring up their husbands...Why? Sure, they could help them if they needed it...It just didn't sit well with me.

My eyes are getting worse, but that's to be expected. (It's not by a lot.) I've had to have glasses starting when I was 7 for 17 years, and have had contacts ever since I stopped wearing glasses. So, they're already pretty bad without any contacts or glasses. 

My eyes were especially dry, so when she dilated my eyes it hurt like hell. Took me a while to recover from the pain. Also, took a while for them to go back to normal. Everything was too bright even with wearing sunglasses inside, couldn't read things, and things were blurry. At some point, I started to get a wave of nausea. More so than usual. I don't remember it being so bad last year. Had some tea and a pastry when we got home, and it cheered me up a lot. Now, I'm back to normal, which is good. 

I'm up to about 110 pages altogether with writing both Alliance 3 and the cookbook. That's quite a bit. Especially when I started at the beginning of last month, and skipped several days. I'm up to the second recipe in the 'Jewish Holidays' section. The first one was for the almond torte with cream. Something she would sometimes make for our Passover seder's main dessert. It's definitely kosher for the holiday. There's no flour. I've made it once a few years ago. It was easier than I thought it would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment