Thursday, August 15, 2019

14th of Av

Tonight's the start of Tu B'Av, or lit. 15th of Av. It's like a Jewish Valentine's Day, in that it celebrates romantic love. It's a minor one. It would be great if they promoted any type of love on it. Otherwise, it makes aros like me feel either left out or another excuse for amatonormativity to be rubbed in our faces. Amatonormativity can be toxic for everyone not just aro people. It's the idea that romantic love is above all others, you must be attracted to someone romantically, your friends aren't as important as your romantic partner (throwing them aside), you must strive for a romantic relationship, if you don't you're considered a failure, there's a certain strict view of what that love should look like (straight, cis, and monogamous), etc. Like I mentioned, if it was celebrating many other types of love in addition to romantic, as in: platonic, queerplatonic, family, country, for pets, for neighbors, etc. I'm all for it. I should think it's like that instead. Some observe it by setting their weddings for that day. There's really not any other modern observances/customs. In the past, unmarried women would dance in vineyards dressed in white. Unmarried men would follow them and choose one to marry. 

On Tuesday, we went to my parent's wig appointment in Federal Way. It's pretty far from home. We left in the morning. Got an iced mocha and iced lemon cake from Starbucks for breakfast beforehand. It's been a very long time since I've had a mocha. I hardly ever feel like having something coffee related. Mochas are a little different, though. I used to get it as a kid at cafes, because I thought it made me look more mature. I also liked it because it didn't have a strong coffee flavor. It has a lot more chocolate, sugar, and cream to mask that. It's kind of like a fancy hot (or iced) chocolate. Anyways, I think it was the first time I had it from Starbucks. The coffee part was a bit stronger than I'd like, but it was really good. 

It had been 2 years since my parent last got a wig, so it was time. She found one she liked, but it was too dark in color. She'll have to come in again after they order it in that color and it arrives. I wanted to briefly look around, because I'm still losing quite a bit of hair. Had a lot to begin with. I don't know if it'll all fall out, but I just wanted to see in case. However, there were just too many to look at, and I only remembered at the very end of it. Maybe in the future. 

After that, we went to Azteca for lunch. I tried their chile relleno. It was a little spicier than some, but still tolerable for my gut. Had white rice and rancho beans as my sides. I thought the rice would be plain, but it was full of herbs. That was a nice surprise. Everything was good. 

Since it was still hot out, we went to a movie theater and saw Yesterday. It was better than expected. I just really could have done without the romance stuff. It added more tension to it than it needed, also. Ellie, love interest of Jack who's the main character, annoyed me at times. Kate McKinnon's character was great! She must have had fun with it. I like her on Saturday Night Live already, but this was even better. She's Jack's agent/manager. Her reaction to the 'reveal' towards the end was perfect. 

Yesterday, we went to the dump. Got rid of the parts of the entertainment center. That was originally a kit that my parent put together with the help of my mom a long time ago. It was interesting to watch some of it being dismantled. It turned into just a bunch of wooden boards, nails, and handles. Last time the haul to the dump with electronics and such weighed about 80 pounds. This time it was 140 pounds. Most of it was those pieces of the entertainment center. There were a couple of other things that were rather light. Like a very old small humidifier. That piece of furniture was heavy...There's more stuff to take, but that was a good chunk of it.

We went to Mora's afterwards. I got one of my faves from there: Cheesecake with Brownie ice cream. The ice cream is actually made from cheesecake, so it's stiffer than most and richer in taste. Makes it amazing! I was happy that they gave me a scoop like I asked for, instead of 2 scoops. Disappointed that there weren't very many big chunks of brownie. The brownie part is more like a heavy fudge. 

Had an early dinner at Taco Time, because it was still hot out. We don't have ac at home, and my room tends to get the hottest. There's basically only one room that's livable at the end of a hot day. I don't go to Taco Time too often. Got my fave: soft bean burrito combo. That includes mexi-fries and a soda. That burrito is full of greatness. Packed with protein and not bad in calories. There's the beans, shredded cheddar, and enchilada sauce in a flour tortilla. Simple. 

We went grocery shopping afterwards. Found a cinnamon roll with icing mug cake mix. It has 4 individual packets/servings of both the mix and icing. I'm used to seeing mug cake recipes on Pinterest. It's interesting to see it in a 'kit' like this. All the ingredients, except water or milk, are right there already prepared. Sounds like a fun thing to try. 

Went to my parent's appointment to have her car looked at today. It took longer than expected, and then it stalled. So, we had to wait a little longer. It seems like things are fine now with it. I was really hungry by the time we left, so we stopped at the market again for lunch. I tried their caprese sandwich. Had their turkey caprese sandwich recently. This one was about half the size, and not as jam packed. Those were plusses to me. It had a nice bread, tons of mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, pesto, and balsamic vinegar. Really good. Had their potato salad with it. Good combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment