Thursday, April 26, 2018

National Pretzel Day!

This holiday was yesterday. I love pretzels! I prefer the big soft ones, but the flavored smaller/hard ones are good, too. 

My mom's yahrzeit was on the 9th of Iyar on the Jewish calendar. It's the 12th, now. (It's a lunar calendar, so days start at sunset.) A yahrzeit is an anniversary of a death. This was her 6th one. I can't believe it has been 6 years! (The Jewish calendar year was 5772.) On the 'regular' or Gregorian calendar it's May 1st. I lit a yahrzeit candle when it started, and those go for 24 hours. I tried to think a bit more about her that day, but those memories seemed a bit hazy to me. On May 1st Dad and I might visit her grave. I'm curious if there are more rocks on it this year. It's a custom to leave a rock while visiting a grave. Kind of like how other people leave flowers. I like the idea of leaving rocks more. Flowers will whither away. Rocks are permanent. Some people try to leave nice looking ones. Others just grab what's around. There were only a few last year. Also, it was very buggy. Hope it's not like that this year. I wonder what she would have thought about me creating a cookbook out of the recipes she has collected. 

The weather has been warmer lately. For a while, it felt like winter was never going to end. It got up to around 80°F yesterday. That's really warm for this time of year. Today, it got up to just a little over 60°. Such a difference. In the next couple of days, it's expected to be in the low 50s, and then it will be in the 70s next week. So many swings in temperature...Almost like it can't decide. Although, being in the 70s for most of next week sounds really nice. 

As soon as it started getting warmer, I decided to switch to my spring/summer shirts. I noticed while going through my fall/winter shirts that I only have one shirt that doesn't have holes, isn't fraying, and isn't missing something (lost a clasp to one of them...). That's kind of sad. I'll have to get more for those seasons in the future. I have a lot more to choose from with the spring/summer stuff. Might want aro, ace, and/or agender related shirts in the future, too. That'd make it fun, and I can be out with those. I definitely need new jeans, too. I'm surprised at how quickly mine have fallen apart lately. I sometimes wear my older ones that are at least a size too big. They're still holding up well. No holes or anything. It's odd. I'm hoping that I'm still the same size, or one smaller, as my current ones are. I think I am, knowing how baggy my old ones still are. 

I finally broke the 100 page mark for Alliance 3. (A little over 200 pages altogether.) Not sure how long this one will be. I'm editing the recipes. Last time I mentioned I was just rearranging and adding new categories. There hasn't been much to edit with the actual recipes, and I'm blazing through it. Next, I'll compile a list of companies/family members to credit. Interestingly, a lot of them don't list a source. There a lot from the Austin American Statesman, as well as Bisquik, Tyson, and The Kitsap Sun. There were a lot of fish ones from an unnamed grocery store, so that's a bit difficult to credit. I think a couple of the companies (not ones I listed) are defunct. They should still be credited. 

I posted 3 more character heads/busts to dA and Instagram. They were of Kenta, Anzu, and Max. Kenta and Anzu are married, and Junko is their adopted daughter. All 3 are cat demons, but Junko's not 'pure'. Junko's more of a side main character and is friends with Shadow. (He's the main character.) Max is a skeleton demon. I'm not very happy with how Kenta turned out. In my head, he looks somewhat similar to a character I drew a long time ago. His face ended up too narrow, eyes too small, ears maybe a little too big. At least I attempted to draw him. Anzu wasn't bad. Max was fun to do. The next batch will have more fun ones. I've probably drawn Ravel the most out of all my characters in the past, so it should be interesting to draw him again.  

I have a lot of characters in the series. It's basically built on them. I've already drawn 12 heads so far. I think there are 18 that are described and play some role in the first book. That's not counting demons they saw on exhibit at a zoo, demons at the graveyard near the school, ones from characters' memories in their background stories. This is just the first book. More characters pop up in the 2nd and the 3rd one I'm currently writing. There are also lots of buildings, landscapes, etc. I want to get to. Eventually, I do want to draw full and colored in bodies of these characters. There are tattoos, scars, jewelry, clothes, and such you can't see with just the heads. So, I have a lot of ideas for future drawings.

I got through a big section or 'trek' for German on Duolingo. The last lesson was more difficult than usual. That was on future tense. I only have 2 more treks to go through. Then, I'll try to go through everything again and earn the full 5 crowns for each lesson. That'll take a while. Apparently with each crown there are more parts to a lesson. Normally there are 3-6 parts to them. I looked at some for the next crown, and those have roughly 15-20 parts. That's too many! I won't get through an entire lesson in one go that way. Oh well. I can't imagine how many parts the 5-crown lessons have. 

I found out that my hair curl styling mousse is discontinued. So, I looked for something new at Safeway. I wanted something that was also alcohol-free. (As well as easier to find.) I found 3 or 4 of them. I decided to try Tresemme's version. It has a level 4 out of 5 hold rating. I need something strong for my hair. The first time I used it like my previous mousse. It became fluffier/frizzier and didn't hold it for long. I know that my hair stylist told me that I need more than I used to use anyways. My hair's longer and prone to dry out more. So, today I followed more of what was on the bottle. I really worked it in, much like I do with my hair calming spray. I combed it with a wide-toothed comb after that. That's the only type of comb that I can use with my hair now. Unless I want to damage it more. Then, I styled my curls the way I would have normally done. With wrapping sections around my finger, holding it for a moment, and letting it go each time. It makes cascading ringlets this way. It seems that, with this method, this mousse works so much better than my previous one. I should have looked at others sooner. It still has a good hold and I did it this morning. 

I decided to only look at my notifications on facebook during the week. I'll share things that I found through my Google news alerts that are interesting, my blog posts, and post any personal updates. During the weekend, I'll go through my feed, but set time limits on it. I think I was spending too much time on there. I shouldn't try to catch up on everything every day. I've only followed this for a couple of days. I feel a bit better, though. I know some people who swear off fb for a while, because they were so into it. I might if I have to wait at a restaurant during the week go through some of my feed. I'm also going to try and check in to more places with it, instead of sharing my Swarm ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment