Monday, March 18, 2013

Oatmeal Cookie Day!

Mood::iconeestiplz:

I love oatmeal cookies! They just seem 'heartier', compared to most cookies. Plus, I love almost anything with oatmeal. Apparently these cookies have been around since the 1800s. They evolved from the English oatcake. 

Hope everyone who celebrates it, had a great St. Patrick's Day!:dummy:We had our regular annual dinner of corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. Soda bread for dessert. Listened to some Irish tunes, too. I thought Dad would be making some colcannon, like she hinted at before. But, this was fine. Seemed pretty subdued for the rest of the day, too. Joined a site called WorldIrish. It was interesting to see where people with Irish descent live now. Plus, the ones who are just interested in the culture. There were pics of some of the parades in Japan. That was interesting. I kind of got bored with the site quickly, though.:iconnorwayunimpressedplz:Maybe that'll change the next time I check it out. 

On Friday, I went over to Seattle with Dad. (Got up pretty early for it.) She dropped me off at U-Village. Apparently, I was there before the shops had opened when I arrived. So, I had to wait about an hour or so. Just gave me time to do a little reading.:iconchibiaustriaplz:I looked around a lot of the shops until about 3pm. Ate at a surprisingly cheap Italian restaurant for lunch in between. Had their fettuccine Alfredo. The noodles were a bit chewier than I like, but it was good. I was thinking about getting something from a place that does Japanese-style crepes. I've always wanted to try them, but most of what they served was sweet. And, I wanted something that wasn't a dessert. Maybe sometime in the future.:iconheroamericaplz:There's a lot of interesting shops there. The only place I wasn't able to look into was a kitchen/cooking store. Thought that would be interesting. They opened a bit later than most shops around that section of the 'mall'. So, I skipped it, and looked at other places.

At around 3pm, I made my way to QFC, and looked around. We usually go to this one for Passover stuff, but I usually don't get the chance to really look around at the other stuff. This QFC's amazing!:la:I read somewhere that it has one of the largest selections of kosher products in the region. I didn't know that those kosher sections were scattered around, and not in just one area. Really cool to me!:iconfrancisplz:They had kosher meats (hard to find a good selection in this area), cheese, frozen foods, baked goods, etc. Their wine section was huge, too! 

After that, Dad met up with me in the Passover section. It's a pretty big section. Went through my list, and got most of the stuff that was on there. Including Passover stuffing, Passover couscous, and Passover noodles. I love the noodles, even though I've always been the only one that can stomach them.:iconsleepygreeceplz:The couscous was surprisingly good last year. The stuffing would be interesting. Not sure if we've gotten the boxed stuff before. But, Mom occasionally would make stuffing for Passover. I can see if it even compares.

I think I'm going to make a Passover apple crumble cake for our seder. They had so many options there. A lot of it sounded awesome.:iconitalyplz:Sounds like it'll be easy and simple to make. Also, got some mandel cuts (similar to a tiny biscotti), double dipped chocolate matzah, fruit (jelly) slices, macaroons, gefilte fish, and more. After that, we went to a Denny's for dinner. I got their BBQ chicken with mashed potatoes and peas on a skillet. Then, a sundae for dessert. It was really tasty! 

Apparently, we're not going to either of the congregations' seders.:iconhongkongplz:Our friends are having theirs the first night. (I think, from what I've been told.) So, we're going to have our seder at home, the second night. Not sure who will be at ours, because we haven't really talked about it yet. Or, if we're just having it for ourselves...But, there's a week to figure it out at least.:icontinoplz:It seems more crazy than usual, to me, because Mom's not there to give advice or anything. When I did my own seders in college, I had the option of calling her. I don't now. So, I have to be more on top of it, and look at it all calmly. 

Also, I'm thinking of applying to be a barista at Starbucks. If I get the job, it'd be perfect for me. They're known to treat their employees (or as they call them: 'partners') well. They provide health/eye/dental insurance (which I really need) that kicks in about 2 months after you start working for them, there's a lot of clubs you can join, you can move up the ranks, free pound of coffee or tea (I think each month), etc.:iconchibinitalyplz:

Once I'm stable for a bit with that job, I'm thinking of transferring over to one of the Starbucks in U-Village and working there. And, I'll be living in an apartment around there, too. Probably in the Ravenna area. They have a lot of synagogues, the QFC I mentioned earlier has a lot of kosher products, it's not too far from Uwajimaya (another place I really love), the community looks nice, it's near the university, the transit system is much better than here, etc.:iconchibihungaryplz:There's 2 Reform synagogues really close to each other in the area. Both have similar hours. And, also have 'young adult' (people in their 20s and 30s), singles, and women's groups. In fact, I saw they have something every single day of the week. It's really sounding amazing!:iconchibispainplz:

No comments:

Post a Comment