Monday, November 25, 2019

27th of Cheshvan

Went to a Trans Day of Remembrance event on Saturday. The actual anniversary of it is on the 20th. It's a day to remember trans people who were murdered in the last year. Usually people read their names, the countries they came from, and how they were killed. Some of the names are unknown, and some of the causes of death are unknown. The majority are usually trans women of color. I think I read that there were 22 that were reported in the US, and 311 altogether worldwide this year. Again, these are just the ones that are reported. Some countries don't report it. (Like, Russia or Iran.) Sometimes they're overlooked, too. It's difficult to sit and listen to each one, but it is important. They didn't go through the whole list of names. The people that wanted to say them could (usually taking 1 or 2 names each), but that didn't cover them all. 

I didn't like that it was so binary. No mention of enby people, and no inclusive language. Saying things like: "We remember our trans brothers and sisters." What about your siblings who were non-binary? Enby people are murdered, too. I totally understand the focus and spotlight being on trans women of color, since they're the most targeted. That's definitely a thing that needs to be said. However, it also felt like some of the time they forget other trans people are killed, too. Not only that, but many amab (assigned male at birth) enby feminine people are mistaken as trans women. That's a problem, as well. 

After the names, there's usually a time for people to comment or bring up stories. Some stories about living trans people, as well as family/friends who were killed or died some other way. I think hearing about trans people that are living also helps people. This time they skipped this section, because they didn't feel there was time. Instead, they had a panel on politics. I think there was only one trans person out of the 4 people on that panel. The whole event was basically ran by cis people, and the panel seemed geared to them more. Many trans people take issue with this for something like TDoR, myself included. I know one of the people that helped set it up is trans, but she only spoke for little bit at the beginning. It was different last year. She seemed to have more of a role then. The panel seemed...inappropriate to me. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly why, but it didn't seem right at such an event. The comments/stories section would have been best. Oh, it's not really much of a panel discussion if only 2 people from the audience got to ask questions. 

I had to leave for a little bit, since a huge coughing attack popped up. I didn't want to leave, but I didn't want to disrupt it, either. As I headed out of the auditorium towards the bathroom, people tried to talk to me. I couldn't respond much. Hope they didn't think I was rude. When I made it into the bathroom, I finally allowed myself to fully cough it out. It was so bad, I thought I would throw up. I didn't, luckily. That incident was embarrassing. After getting back there, the coughing was slowly coming back, but I was determined to stay and able to not make much noise. I'm still sick. It keeps lingering and it's annoying.  

I've managed to both continue fixing the drawing of Junko in Photoshop, and finished editing Alliance/started editing Alliance: Dawn every day for a little over a week and a half. I normally don't do them on Saturdays, because of Shabbat. However, Shabbat ends a little after sundown, and that's still rather early this time of year. So, why not after that? I usually forget on Sundays or want to do other things. I think since I did it on a Saturday, I remembered it more. Junko's looking much better. I'm still thinning/straightening lines and taking away messy areas. I feel like I'm powering through Alliance: Dawn. Decided to go through a chapter a day, instead of maybe 1/2 of one a day. Went through all of chapter 5 today. That was 10 pages of the ebook, and 14 pages of the print version. It's a lot, but it feels like I can be more focused on it. I forgot about the time travel-like aspect in this one. Not revealing much about that. I like how the story progresses in this one more than the first. The first book is more of an intro to their world for readers, I guess. This one's definitely darker, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment